V-Day is a global movement to end violence against women and girls that raises funds and awareness through benefit productions of Playwright/Founder Eve Ensler’s award winning play The Vagina Monologues and other artistic works.
In 2009, more than 4000 V-Day events took place in the U.S. and around the world. To date, the V-Day movement has raised over $70 million and educated millions about the issue of violence against women and the efforts to end it, crafted international educational, media and PSA campaigns, launched the Karama program in the Middle East, reopened shelters, and funded over 5000 community-based antiviolence programs as well as safe houses in Kenya, South Dakota, Egypt and Iraq. In June 2006, V-Day launched the V-DAY: UNTIL THE VIOLENCE STOPS festival in NYC which invited thousands of New Yorkers to stand up and join V-Day in making New York City the safest place on earth for women and girls. In 2008, V-Day celebrated its 10th Anniversary in New Orleans with over 30,000 activists attending V TO THE TENTH.
The V-Day movement is growing at a rapid pace throughout the world, in 130 countries from Europe to Asia, Africa and the Caribbean, and all of North America. VDay, a non-profit corporation, distributes funds to grassroots, national and international organizations and programs that work to stop violence against women and girls. In 2001, V-Day was named one of Worth Magazine’s “100 Best Charities” and in 2006 one of Marie Claire Magazine’s Top Ten Charities. The ‘V’ in V-Day stands for Victory, Valentine and Vagina.
• V-Day is an organized response against violence toward women.
• V-Day is a vision: We see a world where women live safely and freely.
• V-Day is a demand: Rape, incest, battery, genital mutilation and sexual slavery
must end now.
• V-Day is a spirit: We believe women should spend their lives creating and
thriving rather than surviving or recovering from terrible atrocities.
• V-Day is a catalyst: By raising money and consciousness, it will unify and
strengthen existing anti-violence efforts. Triggering far-reaching awareness, it
will lay the groundwork for new educational, protective, and legislative endeavors
throughout the world.
• V-Day is a process: We will work as long as it takes. We will not stop until the
• V-Day is a day. We proclaim Valentine’s Day as V-Day, to celebrate women and
end the violence.
• V-Day is a fierce, wild, unstoppable movement and community. Join us!
Learn more at vday.org